In a span of a couple of weeks, our world has completely changed. People are faced with double fears- the fear of sickness or even death, and the fear of financial hardship. There hasn’t been a time like this in living history.
As I’ve watched the news, washed my hands excessively, and tried to social distance myself from most people (doesn’t really work well with nieces and nephews), I’ve been surprised and saddened by people’s reactions. Shocked by the empty shelves. Startled by the venom of social media posts. I couldn’t believe how quickly things have disintegrated.
Yes, circumstances feel completely out of control. Yes, life is different. But, friends, we do not have to be afraid, for our health, our loved ones, or our financial situations. God is completely in control of this. I cannot say that enough. We are not walking alone through this trial.
The Bible speaks for itself. Rather than add to it, I simply wanted to share some of the scriptures I’ve been holding onto during this tough time. My deepest prayer is that they will be an encouragement for you.
Trust in God!
- Isaiah 26:3, 4– You keep him in perfect peace him whose mind is stayed on you, because He trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting Rock.
- Jeremiah 17:7, 8– Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green. It is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.
- Psalm 46:1-3– God is our Refuge and Strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountain is moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling.
- Philippians 4: 4-7– Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
- I Thess. 5:16-18– Rejoice always! Prayer without ceasing. Give thanks in everything, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
- John 16:33– I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart, I have overcome the world.
- James 1:2-4– Count if all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
- Isaiah 43:1-3– But now thus says the Lord…”Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you, when you walk through the fire you shall not be burned, and the flames shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.”
- Psalm 62:5-8– For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him. He only is my Rock and my Salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.
Hang in there and keep your eyes fixed only on what is true. God is our refuge through all troubles. Lean hard into Him and hold on tight to the promises found in these verses. We will get through this.
This week, I’m thankful for the blessing of God Himself. I can’t imagine going through this without knowing Him. Together, let’s celebrate every single blessing!